Thursday, June 5, 2014

May 28th Oak Harbor

                                  Just a minor miscalculation! Time flies when you're having fun!




May 28, 2014


Still Oak Harbor

After a romantic anniversary dance in our salon, we headed for bed.  I woke up in the middle of the night with a raging headache (must have had a wee bit too much to drink) and when I was reaching for the Advil, I thought of our son who is turning 34 very soon. Then it dawned on me, if Bryan is turning 34 then we have been married longer than 35 years!

When I got back into bed I said to David, “Honey, I think we have been married 36 years. If you do the math…subtract 1978 from 2014…you get 36.”  David sleepily responded, “Do you even count that first year?” Geez…

When we were waiting for the taxi last night, David could see our boat and he noticed that I had left all the fenders down on the port side. I had put them down when we docked to get fuel and forgot about them. I was concentrating on preparing the starboard for docking at our moorage space. He chastised me, and we laughed about how shabby it made the Belle look not to mention the tackiness of it all having the unsightly fenders dangling over the side…never claimed to have any class.

Took advantage of the free Island Transit and took a ride to Coupeville which is a sweet coastal town with a small historic section.  We stopped in for ice cream which was my plan all along.

We stood and watched seagulls on the shell encrusted beach pecking at the  mussels. They would pick a shell up in their beaks, fly into the air and drop it to break it open. Pretty good for a bird brain. This area is known for their Penn Cove mussels.

Later that day we walked over to the Oak Harbor Yacht Club. When I called to make a reservation for dinner, I was asked what yacht club we were members of…I quickly said, “We met JJ last night and he invited us.”  That’s all it took.  We saw JJ this evening and he introduced us to a great group of people with whom we shared a table. JJ is the Vice Commodore and you could tell he was a well respected gentleman.

                           Ordering a cocktail at the Oak Harbor Yacht Club


One of our table mates was trying to convince us to buy a house near him in Mariner’s Cove which has a 60 ft dock…a mere $575,000.  We were also told that there was space available here at Oak Harbor Marina, and if we moored here we could then become Yacht Club members. We have only encountered the nicest people here.

The rain that was expected rolled in around midnight last night and today was dry.  It is now quite windy and cold. We will decide tomorrow morning whether we stay or set off for either Friday Harbor or Blind Bay as a half-way point back to Canada.

                                            View from the bar-b-cue station at the Yacht Club


                                                                  Crane on the dock!                   





No comments:

Post a Comment