Friday, August 24, 2018

August 9th Blunden Harbour to Grebe Cove





August 9th  Blunden Harbour to Grebe Cove

Woke up to sunshine pouring in to our stateroom. Hallelujah!  In the time it took me to dress, we were back in fog soup…my mood quickly changed. 

But, wait!  Once out in Queen Charlotte Strait, the fog began to float away. We could even spot Vancouver Island!  “This is cool being able to see, isn’t it?”  said the skipper with a grin.



Learned a new word from David today. I pointed and said, “There’s a whale’s spray.”  David said, “No, not spray. That’s the spume.”  I have been seeing spume everywhere and didn’t even know it.  I can imagine the whalers of long ago spotting a whale and screaming, “Spuuuuume!”


                                              Just missed the whale flipping his tale...


The seas were so friendly today that David was able to leave his less anxious first mate at the helm long enough for him to make some bread. Love the smell of bread baking. Love the butter that melts on it.

David urged me to enjoy the ride out on the bow. I perched in my favorite cruising chair and soaked in sunshine and loveliness. How did I get so lucky?

Our plan was to anchor in Waddington Bay but once we were in the Fox Group Islands, the task of weaving through rocks and islets became less appealing. David found Grebe Cove on the chart, and we scooted in there and grabbed a mighty fine spot. Waddington Bay is one of the most popular destinations in the Broughtons, and we could already see several boats anchored there. We had this cove all to ourselves.

                         We finally had to get rid of the webs. Couldn't see through the windows!


After lunch we took the dinghy out to try some fishing. I caught a baby halibut about 15 inches long. We released it, but I was encouraged. Maybe this evening off the bow, I will hook one I can keep.

 Water maker has malfunctioned but we have plenty of water in our tank.


                                                       Entrance to Grebe Cove
                                          






No comments:

Post a Comment