Friday, August 24, 2018

Aug 18th Gorge Harbour back to Rebecca Spit




                                  The red dots on the blue water represent all the boats anchored with us.


August 18th  Gorge Harbour back to Rebecca Spit

David and I watched a neighbor haul their dinghy back up on their deck with their fancy retractable winch. We were boasting that are methods for the same task were like a “well oiled machine”.  We got up and decided to show everyone how it is done.

Once the dinghy was raised high above the water, I handed off the dinghy line to David, brought up the fenders and then headed up the ladder to the boat deck to help him land the dinghy. Our routine is like a well-rehearsed dance, partners supporting each other with grace and confidence. Right. As I climbed the ladder, I found the trap door closed and after I folded and clipped it in place, it loosened and rudely struck me on the top of my head. That was the first debacle. The second was the gangway cover secured with Velcro and snaps. I fumbled with the fabric trying to escape. Meanwhile, David landed the dinghy all on his own. We could not control our laughter. Yep, a well-oiled machine…that’s us!


                                                                                 

During my time at the helm today, I had to slow down after spotting a whale surfacing just a few hundred feet from our bow.  That got David’s attention and he quickly reappeared from the engine room. David agreed it was a good move.

                                                                Uganda Pass


We returned to Rebecca Spit to attend a dinner show. The performing storyteller, Grant Lawrence, is a Canadian author and CBC radio personality. He shared excerpts from two of his three award winning books. One story had to do with the BC Ferry system and brought hysterical laughter from the audience. A childhood memory of his family attending a potluck in Desolation Sound which turned out to be a gathering of nudists was charming and more than a little amusing. Grant was joined by three musician friends who provided stories in song. A good time was had by all.

Our evening was shared with our table mates who were local residents. Dennis left the U.S. as a young man. He shared that he had become disgruntled with the politics in the U.S. at the time he left and now has a duel citizenship. His wife, Meghan, was a retired Canadian teacher.  The four of us all live in rural areas which are tourist destinations, and we had a long discussion on the pros and cons of the tourist invasions. Dennis and Meghan are snowbirds who spend their winters in Palm Desert.



We had to drive our dinghy back to our boat in the dark after the show. Getting myself into the boat was pure comedy. Somewhat tipsy, I had to step off a wobbly dock and into the boat. That was only going to turn out badly.  Instead, I chose to aim my bottom for the bow of the boat and when planted, swing my legs awkwardly into the boat giggling uncontrollably. Not graceful but effective.

We cruised across the darkened harbor while I held two flashlights over the bow. How David found our boat amongst all those other vessels when all I could see were anchor lights, I just don’t know, but he zipped right alongside the Belle.

Did find some boat names worth sharing:  Natural High,  Peer Pressure, 50 Cubits, Never Home, Any Excuse





No comments:

Post a Comment