Thursday, June 14, 2018

Day 8 Douglas Bay to Echo Harbour





Saturday, May 26th.     5:00 am departure

DOUGLAS BAY TO ECHO HARBOUR

In order to get a head start on the winds in Johnstone Strait, we left at 5:00 am this morning. It was a great call. The only action we experienced was whirlpools in Sunderland Channel soon after leaving Douglas Bay.  It was such a calm cruise that we listened to “Wait, Wait, Don’t Tell Me!” on PBS radio as we watched for unfriendly floating objects. 

Got our first rain the last two hours of our trip. We wove through a gang of small islands in Havannah Channel and aimed our bow straight for channel markers on the shores through shallow Chatham Channel. The most amazing sight today was a bear swimming in front of our boat in 100+ foot water. I was so stunned that I forgot to grab my camera!

We docked at Pierre’s Echo Bay Resort for the night. The season has not started so there were only 3 other boats. Last time we were here, we joined in on a pig roast and rubber duck race with our friends, Pam and Dennis, from our home marina. So quiet that the only excitement was an otter scurrying along on the docks ducking behind buildings. Actually, after a 7 hour cruise today covering 55 nautical miles, quiet was just what these two sailors needed.

After all the research and preparation on technology that David did before our trip, we are still technologically challenged. We started out with our “hotspot” and wifi coverage but now we only have the capability of phone calls and texts.  Contributing to our communication difficulties are factors beyond our control, but that doesn’t make it any less frustrating.

I turned on my iPhone yesterday and there was a notice that someone in New Brunswick was attempting to use my Apple account (in a town we visited last year). They suggested I change my password. With coverage bouncing in and out, I was not successful with a password change until the following morning. I have been trying to update my iPad so that I can transfer camera photos on to it. After 3 days of unreliable wifi, the download was completed overnight, but now I don’t have the wifi connection to finish the process.  GRRRR It’s my own fault for not dealing with this  before leaving home.

No comments:

Post a Comment