Thursday, June 14, 2018

Day 9 Echo Bay to Blunden Harbour




Sunday, May 27th  OUR 40TH WEDDING ANNIVERSARY!

Echo Bay to Blunden Harbour

It was another 5 am departure. Decided to walk the boat back to the end of the dock before maneuvering out of the slip. Worked perfectly. We headed to Queen Charlotte Strait through Fife Sound with the ebb tide nudging us along at 8.2 kts. This is the first day we will be entering areas we have never explored. Our adventure truly begins today!

As we passed the wooded hillsides, we couldn’t help but notice that the trees along the shore looked like someone took giant hedge trimmers and clipped all the branches leaving a sharp straight bottom edge on every tree. Those branches are doing all they can to avoid the sea water.

The Southeast winds and current on the Queen Charlotte Strait pushed our speed to 9.8 kts. We glided past mountains, skies, and water several shades of gray. Just before entering the Strait, David caught site of two dolphins surfing our bow wake. I attempted photographing the action but stopped just to delight in their presence.

After two early mornings, I was grumpy.  My mini meltdown came early when I started yelling at the radio because I could not get it to scan channels (I thought I had figured it out days ago).  David suggested I take a rest in our stateroom. What happen to our marriage vow of, “For better or worse?”  

Lucky for David, I returned from my 20 minutes of reflection all the better. Sleep deprivation does not look good on me. Calmer, I finally got the radio to scan.

Arriving in Blunden took a careful navigation through rocks and past small islands, but we found a lovely bay to anchor in and dropped our crab pots. David served me anniversary French toast and eggs this morning. We are hoping for an anniversary crab dinner.


                                                             Dolphins at the bow

No comments:

Post a Comment